Why FrenchBlue Was Renamed

:arrow_down::arrow_down::arrow_down:

The Background

FrenchBee, the sister airline of Air Caraïbes, is a low-cost, long-haul French airline based at Paris Orly Airport. As it is leisure-based, it operates flights to (mainly French) destinations around the world, including Papeete’s Faa’a International Airport and Réunion’s Roland Garros Airport. The airline utilizes a fleet of Airbus A350-900s and has a handful of -1000s on order. Previously, it operated a single A330-300, which was transferred to Air Caraïbes when they received their first A350.

The Name Change

From its creation in 2016 until late 2017, French Bee was known as French Blue. However, when it applied for a Foreign Air Carrier Permit from the US Department of Transportation to begin flights to San Fransisco, JetBlue raised objections with their name, claiming the two titles were very similar and would cause confusion. Their protests were based on the potential of customer belief that there was a link between the two airlines and FrenchBlue’s intention to fly into the United States, where JetBlue is based. To avoid a “costly and extensive” lawsuit, the airline became “French” until late January, 2018, when it was revealed that the new title the airline had chosen was French Bee.

The Transformation

French Blue A350-900

French A350-900

FrenchBee A350-900

Credits

Source 1

Source 2

Picture 1 Credit
© ch-aviation

Picture 2 Credit
© ch-aviation

FrenchBlue A350 Picture Credit
© Valentin Chesneau–Daumas

French A350 Picture Credit
© Rami Khanna-Prade

FrenchBee A350 Picture Credit
© Valentin Chesneau–Daumas

8 Likes

You mean FrenchBlue

1 Like

No, it was originally FrenchBlue, which is why I named the post “Why FrenchBlue Was renamed”

1 Like

This sentence makes no sense, but it would if you changed the first FrenchBee to FrenchBlue.

1 Like

@ThomasR does this remind you of Lufthansa and LOT?

2 Likes

Thanks, I’m waiting for the post to load so I can edit it.

Interesting topic for sure @Azure

1 Like

Oh yeah! I remember. Damn why do airlines have such issues with others? :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Just want to make more money I guess.

2 Likes

What was the issue between LH and LO?

3 Likes

The logo on tail looks far to similar…

4 Likes

I see you got inspiration from the model aircraft collections thread on IFC :smirk:

3 Likes

What happened there?

1 Like

Awesome story, I found out about this a few days ago.

1 Like

French Blue…JetBlue

Makes sense

Now if they can add Orly to San Jose, that would be great

2 Likes