Qantaslink Launches New Route!

Qantaslink Launches New Route

Credit

Qantaslink has announced it’s newest route! Beginning on the 29th of March, 2020, they will operate direct flights from Sydney to Mildura using Q400 aircraft.

(Click on the blue text to learn more about it)

Most of you have probably never heard of Mildura, so let me tell you a bit about it. Mildura is a large regional town in north-west Victoria. It’s located on the Victorian side of the Murray River, with the other side being New South Wales. It is home to some of Australia’s finest fruit produce, and wineries. And, it’s my home town, which is why I’m incredibly excited for this.

Mildura already has direct services to Melbourne, Adelaide and Broken Hill, with Rex, Qantaslink & Virgin Australia.

These flights will operate 4 times a week, with the potential to expand to daily. The flight times haven’t been confirmed, however after doing a little digging on the Qantas website, it appears that the flight from Sydney to Mildura departs at 7 PM, and arrives in Mildura at 9 PM. The return flight departs the next morning at 9 AM, and arrives around 11 AM. This hasn’t been confirmed by Qantas. The flight is expected to take around 1 hour and 50 minutes.

Mildura to Sydney was previously served by Rex, however they pulled out of the route last year.

The CEO of Qantaslink, John Gissing, said this about the route launch.

“We know the value of connecting country cities and we’re proud to be connecting the Sunraysia region to Sydney once again. Mildura has a rich history and is home to some of Australia’s finest produce and wineries and we know it will be a popular destination for holidaymakers as well. It’s the second new service we’ve launched to regional Victoria in the past 12 months and we’re confident it will be a success.”

The Federal member for Mallee (the region that Mildura is located in), Anne Webster, also had a say about the route.

“Mildura Airport handles over 253,000 passengers a year and we know that many of them link up with flights to Sydney. By offering this direct flight, Qantas are supplying a service to many residents of Mallee who travel to Sydney for work and leisure. The flight time of one hour and 50 minutes represents a reduction in current travel time between Mildura and Sydney via Melbourne, easing the burden on travellers and offering an improvement on the cost of flights.”

The Q400’s that will operate the route are fitted with 74 economy seats, in a 2-2 configuration, which is standard on all Q400 aircraft.

I’m very excited for this new route, and I look foward to flying on it one day. It’s fantastic to see expansion from my home airport!

What do you think of this new route?

8 Likes